Thursday, April 8, 2010

What Is it like to work with eating disorders?

I find it very rewarding to work with eating disorders.  They are complex problems that require creativity, flexibility and patience to address.  Eating disorders are the result of cultural and societal pressures as well as individual vulnerabilities.  When I work with people with eating disorders I like to think I am helping the individual and also helping to make small changes in societal values.  When a person is motivated to change his or her relationship with food, there is a high rate of recovery.  It is exciting to me to watch someone becoming more balanced, self-confident, and productive.  As people are able to let go of their eating disorder symptoms they have more energy available to focus on their goals and reach their potential.

No comments: